By Melanie Dean, PhD
Karma is a real thing– what we put out there comes back to us. Quantum Physics tells us that the particles of energy we set in motion through our thoughts and feelings connect up with like particles, working much like a radio does. As long as we activate certain particles (like tuning into our favorite local radio station), we participate in the information stream – listening to the news, thinking about what we hear, and emotionally reacting to it. We can choose to continue to listen and participate or change the station.
We have the power to correct our karmic reactions through a process of quiet, self-awareness. We have the power to change the station.
I remember a friend of mine exclaiming recently that everything seemed to keep going wrong. Her furnace went out on a very cold morning, her teenager rear-ended someone at a stoplight, her favorite coffee mug slipped out of her hands and broke. All of this happened in the same week that she also had an especially negative client rejecting all of her business proposals. At each turn of events she wilted with fear “On no, what a horrible week; I wonder what else will go wrong!” Those thoughts and feelings set energy particles into motion to meet her fear expectation of other things going wrong. All her energy stream broadcast, “Bad things will just keep happening to me!” And that is exactly what happened. Karma is real.
Karma – what goes around comes around – is supported by the findings of quantum physics and quantum mechanics. Everything in the world is made up of energy particles. The energy particles that make up our bodies, thoughts, and feelings connect to other particles, all of which react to one another instantaneously and continuously. Literally, what particles we send out (what goes around) come back to us (what comes around).
| The Physics of Consciousness: The quantum mind and the meaning of life, by Evan Harris Walker. 2000. Basic Books, NY.
The Fabric of Reality by David Deutsch. 1997. Penquin Books, NY.
Hidden in Plain Sight; The simple link between relativity and quantum mechanics, by Andrew Thomas. 2012.]
What you can DO to control your karma?
Whenever you are reacting to something – whether it is strictly in your mind or an actual event occurring in the moment – your energy particles are set into motion.
One way to correct the course of your karma reaction is to find a time for quiet self-awareness and try this six-step karma correction pathway:
- Visualize. Bring to mind what you wish had unfolded differently.
- Own it. Let go of that which you had no control over. Then, take ownership for your part in what happened. Understand what fear, anger, worry, or resentment was triggered within you. Be kind to yourself, and know we all come by our own triggers from things that have happened in the past. Know that you are doing the best you can, even now. My friend’s fear and tension likely contributed to the strained negative relationship with her client and to dropping her favorite mug. Perhaps fear and tension are also part of her relationship with her son.
- Forgive. Apologize to yourself for the reaction you had in the past, affirming that you hope to do things differently in the future. The biggest transformation that you can have is by forgiving yourself. It is only by forgiving yourself that you can truly have compassion, acceptance, and forgiveness for others.
- Apologize. In that quiet, self-reflective place inside of yourself, apologize to the person or people your actions affected. You may be tempted to judge them and think that they too should have done things differently. Set those thoughts aside. Their actions and responses are not for you to correct. Your job is in growing and changing yourself – correcting your own karma. As you apologize to the person(s), imagine them accepting your apology.
- Commit. Now, let yourself settle into an image of how you will respond differently in a future similar situation. Make a commitment to yourself that in the future, you will take a moment to pause before reacting. In that pause moment, you can bring this image to mind and choose to respond a little bit differently than you did before.
- Trust. Finally, ask the quiet wise energy inside of yourself if it would be helpful to take some action or make an apology to someone as part of correcting your karmic course. Trust your internal wisdom guidance. It will not lead you astray.
This approach of focusing on changes within yourself, has just as much power as taking concrete action, although you may want to also use your actions and words to correct your karma.
Remember that the particles activated within you do not know the difference between imaginings and real events. So, as you correct your course within yourself, you are also correcting the karmic energy connected to you.
Now, please try these strategies, and share your experience. What were you able to visualize? How did it feel to own your part, forgive yourself, and envision the process of apologizing to those involved? What commitment did you make to yourself for the future? What did your “gut” tell you during this quiet, self-awareness time?
© Melanie Dean, PhD